MXOLISI LUKE: Durban Fashion Fair Emerging Designer

Mxo Luke:

“Refuse to give up, who knows who you will inspire”, is what Morningside’s
Mxo Luke the creative behind the brand, House of St Luke, lives by.

Mkhize (known by friends and family as Mxo) was inspired to pursue a career
in the fashion industry because he says, “It is something I always had in
me, even when I was pursuing my Bachelor of Social Science Degree in
Psychology and Labour Studies. I always had an interest in international and
local trends, so after working for years, I decided to take the leap of
faith and pursue this dream I had, so I am self-taught.” His mother was also
a huge influence in his fashion and style ensuring that he always looked
smart and presentable from an early age, whether it was for school or
functions. She introduced him to various brands and opened his eyes to the
world of fashion, where he now thrives. 

“I love working with people and interacting with them. I also love their
facial expressions when they see a finished garment. Designers are ‘ego
transplant surgeons’, as we give people make overs and confidence. We boost
egos and accentuate beauty,” he comments when asked what he enjoys most
about designing.

For him, inspiration comes from the rich South African culture, religion and
history and describes his style as bold, tailored, bespoke and formal with
his House of Saint Luke (HSL) signature. “I design clothes for a slim or
well-built masculine man. I wear my own clothes because I am the brand,” he
says.
What does participating in the Durban Fashion Fair mean to him? “It is an
amazing platform, which I am forever grateful for. It is somewhat humbling
to know that I was chosen amongst so many that had applied, so being able to
participate means my brand is exposed not only to Durbanites, but to South
Africa as a whole as well as the world,” he adds.
 
 
 
 
 


As a social guy, Mkhize follows a number of blogs where he gains insight
into the latest trends and fashion news. These include, House of Olé,
Ephymol, Tailored the Blog, Man Of Cloth, James Mahlatsi, According to Jerri
and Sandiso Ngubani. “They are all bold and current,” he says.

Mkhize is excited for this year’s Durban Fashion Fair as it is a great
stepping stone for him. Last year he was one of ten designers selected for
the eThekwini Municipality’s Business Support, Tourism and Markets Unit
Fashion Development Programme in Milan, Italy where he learned the
international business of fashion which helped him improve his skills in the
industry.

He recently participated in the Fashion by the Sea in the Durban Fashion
Fair Young Designer category and wowed the crowd with a colourful collection
that embraced the African culture!

Follow him on www.houseofsaintluke.tumblr.com


Designer Trading Information:
Media Name: Mxo Luke
Label Name: House of St Luke
Landline Number:  N/A
Mobile Number: 072 248 0020
Email address: mxo@houseofsaintluke.co.za
Website address: www.houseofsaintluke.tumblr.com

Comments

Post a Comment