ACTIVISM GONE WRONG! - STOP BOYCOTTING PEOPLE OF YOUR OWN

According to Wikipedia an LGBTI pride is the positive stance against discrimination and violence toward lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) people to promote their self-affirmation, dignity, equality rights, increase their visibility as a social group, build community, and celebrate sexual diversity andgender variance. Pride, as opposed to shame and social stigma, is the predominant outlook that bolsters most LGBT rights movements throughout the world. Pride has lent its name to LGBT-themed organizations, institutes, foundations, book titles, periodicals and even a cable TV station and thePride Library and it goes on... 

I remember when I first attended my first Pride in Cape Town in March 2011 with a group from Durban Lesbian & Gay Centre, it was amazing! I had so much fun! 

In October 2012 I attended my first JoBurg Pride in Zoo Lake (now known as Johannesburg Pride hosted in Sandton). I remember on this day I met so many people who you could not tell their background, status and some of them even their sexuality. A big amazing family we were. 

It the same weekend I decided to relocate to Johannesburg, and I am sure of it that I wouldn't be here in JoBurg if it wasn't for JoBurg Pride. Sadly, it was boycotted and it came to an end. Despite so much work by the new board it is never the same, so many LGBTI individuals who do not have families and never get a chance to be themselves once off their "Christmas" was taken away from them including myself. 


As I am typing this I know when grumpy activists who want to own people's lives cannot wait to take me on and some of them are wishing ill upon me and I do not care, I rather die for the truth than being a puppet! 

It is so sad that we as the LGBTI communities want to be accepted and be seen as equal but we can't do that among our selves. People are so angry and hating, wanting to own everything and everyone. As much as I would love to be team Activist but NO THANKS, I do not want to be part of it! And YES, maybe I know nothing about activism that is why I did things my own way, don't we all? But I am sorry;

1. I fear for my life, people whom I am trying to push the same agenda with are selfish, they want credit on everything! Then its owk, let them do it! 

2. I have been a victim of rape & hate crime myself, and I have realized, I do not want to be part of the dead and victimized I dealt with it my own way and I would like to move on. 
3. Not everyone is suffering, so I choose to be part of the happy group that want to project positivity because truth is within the LGBTI community NOT everyone is a victim of hate crime, not everyone is disadvantaged. There are LGBTI people who are doing well and safe. Call me delusional but it better than being fed shit to push your agenda on behalf! 

The past few weeks while organizing Mzansi Pride I received a lot of hate messages and comments from people who call themselves activists, hating on me who is part of their family! They wanted me to stop, they wanted me to fail and they sabotaged the process but they did not win. What I would like to understand is who owns PRIDE, maybe I should have a chat with that person. 


I am a child of God, I am NOT man made so NO one will decide on God's behalf. 


With all the hate and sabotage, I have decided I am going to do Mzansi Pride again, with anyone's support or not, I will and I am changing the concept and we will not have a march, the activists can own the streets of Johannesburg its fine. We will have a festival with the people who want to celebrate uniqueness, celebrate their achievements and project positivity. 


We are young and happy, yes we will go through hardship but that does not mean we are the only ones, any other communities do suffer hence there are campaigns like 16 Days of Activism not specifically there for the LGBTI communities but for women and children in general who face abuse


Lastly: Thank You to everyone who came through to Mzansi Pride, the thousands of the LGBTI people who make their own decisions were there! Ngiyabonga angiqedi, we will do it again next year if we are still alive. 


Thank You Constitution Hill, Renault SA, Red Bull ANN7 for LIVE broadcast and everyone who was involved! 

Ngiyabonga nakubo bonke who were there for me! 


Interact with me on twitter & Instagram @YayaRSA






Comments

  1. Well done Yaya, Im sad that i missed it. Had a funeral at home lost my uncle... but im glad it was a success... Keep shining God is still going to bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ngyabonga kakhulu Sipho, I am so sorry about ur loss! Really sorry.

      Delete
  2. Truly appreciate the work you do for the LGBTI community.. keep pushing, we'll keep supporting.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment