Yaya Mavundla wins Sowetan Women's Club Influencer Award

 

Yaya Mavundla 
She is one of SA's most admired women voted by the public. 


Becoming's Reality TV Star Yaya Mavundla crowned Sowetan's Woman's Club Trendsetter. 

Sowetan Women’s Club and Toi Moi celebrated 40 fabulous years of female strength, resilience and beauty hosted by Bunny Mojaja. The event took place at an intimate setting celebrating SA’s most-admired women who were honoured in three categories; Arts & Culture, Beauty & Fashion and Media & Entertainment. Mavundla was honoured under the Arts & Culture trendsetter which saw her scoop the price with over 80% votes by the public compared to the other nominees. 

Looking radiant and fashion forward draped in an Imprint original, Mavundla captured many hearts in the audience with her acceptance speech where she spoke about her upbringing and her journey to becoming her true self. 

"To me this is still a culture shock, I grew up in a space where we didn't have television, I didn't know newspapers and magazines existed. I also didn't know people get awards and to see myself making headlines, starring in a TV show and getting recognition from Sowetan and many other spaces is a validation that we are all worthy and nothing is impossible." said Mavundla during her acceptance speech. 



"Today I looked like the movement that I am creating for my brand and this wouldn't have become a reality without my friend and make-up artist Boene Ntshilo who has elevated my confidence and made me look at myself in such a positive light." she concluded. 

The Sowetan Women's Club 40th celebration also saw powerful women sharing their journey in the industry such as; broadcaster Hulisani Ravele, actress Thembi Seete and digital creator Mpoomy Ledwaba. 

Mavundla wins trendsetter award in the arts and culture after her exhibition titled Layers of a Black Transgender Woman which opened at Constitution Hill Women's Jail during women's month to celebrate Black Transgender Women in South Africa. 


Comments