FACES & PHASES 2006 - 2014 - A BOOK THAT EVERY FAMILY MUST OWN

World's first "Lesbian bible" Faces & Phases book by international acclaimed photographer & film maker Zanele Muholi. 

 Pictures from www.inkanyiso.org 




Zanele Muholi who recently launched the faces & phases publication published by Steild embarks on a journey of "visual activism" to ensure black queer & transgender visibility from Africa & beyond. 
The extraordinary publication is a collection of black portraits that has been captured over the past 8 years. 

Over 250 portraits are featured on the book and are accompanied by moving testimonies by many "participants" that are about their experiences. Some of the participants share their stories on being lesbian mothers, disclosing their HIV/Aids status & their day to day life experiences. 

The book has been launched in different cities around the world including Johannesburg, Durban, New York, Stockholm, France & Amsterdam to name a few places. 



The book also features a very interesting poem by the Durban born & based poet Andiswa Dlamini titled "I used to be a Lesbian" 

Here is how it reads: 
I used to be lesbian
Let me explain
I use to look at girls in a particular way
Where I could imagine her in the conclusion of each page
Man, I loved women

I used to tease them,
taste them,
feel them,
love them,
fuck them…

I liked all the different shapes of a woman
See, I used to be lesbian
Walk the streets and get defeated by his construction of living life
I used to listen to his thoughts
So I know that every time I walk by
His already undressed me,
and I’d get home and question what he sees

I used to be lesbian

In fact my first heart break was with a woman
And I didn’t know how to handle it so
I became a heart breaker
just so that I could see how others were dealing with the intensity you feel when you’ve lost the love
you thought was the one
Until I found another kind of love
So intense I was afraid to hold her
because I knew I’d be singing songs of eternity

I used to be lesbian

Until one night that tragedy happened to me
And I never saw it coming
I was pinned to the floor
Forced to kiss the ground
it was him…him ontop of me
I was gasping to scream
But his dick couldn’t let me
He was whispering his imaginary scriptures to me

I used to be lesbian

until I looked into his eyes
And saw a beast a site that could never be God’s creation…
this was the work of satan
My cry was his motivational speech
So I laid there in silence
To withstand the violence
And my soul had already left me

I used to be lesbian

But when he left me
I cuddled a big rock
Mother nature was the nearest woman
I could find warmth in

I used to be lesbian

but now my final words
Are on a tomb stone
Because he showed me the power of a man
And I could never love that
So I killed myself because
I knew that I could never stand corrected
It wasn’t one of Shakespeare’s tragedies
This was no love story

I used to be lesbian

But in heaven God said
We are not defined by titles
So now I live as a woman that loves…

The poem is also published on www.inkanyiso.rg 

Muholi explains the project as part of marking, mapping, and preserving an often invisible community for prosperity especially that the LGBTI people never get positive images from the media.  
Faces & Phases 2006 - 2014 is shortlisted for the Deutsche Borse Photography Prize for 2015.

Should you wish to get yourself a copy, you can order here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zanele-Muholi-Faces-Phases-2006-14/dp/3869308079

Interact with me on twitter & Instagram @YayaRSA

Comments