Miss South Africa Dr Adè van Heerden launches a book club


Miss South Africa Dr Adè van Heerden launches a book club

                  

Miss South Africa Dr Adè van Heerden has launched her own book club in conjunction with Exclusive Books. She answers some questions about it.

How often will this book club run and where?
Every last Wednesday of the month in Exclusive Books stores across the country. The first one took place yesterday (February 28) at Exclusive Books in Rosebank. We are scheduled to hold the next one on Wednesday, March 28, at Hyde Park; Wednesday, April 25 possibly at Cavendish in Cape Town and Wednesday, May 23 (not the last Wednesday in this instance), at Menlyn in Pretoria. The events start at 17h30. My book club is open to anyone who would like to attend. I would like to create an inclusive environment for any young woman who is looking to better herself and rise to the goals she has set out for herself. 
Why have you started your own book club? 
Books have played such an important role in my life and have helped shaped me into the woman I am today. I want to share, with other young women, the treasures that some of my favourite books hold. I want this to be more than just a book club, but rather a tangible experience of community, inspiration, support and growth. 
What kinds of book will you be focusing on? 
I am going to focus on books that have taught me skills that I’ve needed to succeed in life. Books that teach us how to become the best, most whole version of ourselves. The first book I chose to launch my book club was Rising Strong by Brené Brown. It is about getting to the heart of the most painful and uncomfortable moments we’ve ever experienced, getting honest about the way in which they’ve made us feel, and being bold enough to hold ourselves accountable to get up and grow from the past as we move into the future.



Comments